Saturday, June 16, 2007

The joys of home ownership

Well, my relaxing day of bliss included the delivery of my new washer and dryer--even though I'd inadvertently ordered two appliances that do not quite match. We thought ordering online would be easy but it's hard to tell that some washers have a shiny, mirror-like finish on their door while some dryers have a finish that matches my chrome refrigerator. Oh well, no one will notice but me--and any of my blog readers who come to visit! ;)

That was also the day I first discovered the water stain on our ceiling. It's under our shower. We had the exact same problem in the last house, so we have evidently done something to upset the plumbing gods. It faded the next day (when the plumbers were here) and they sealed things, tested things but could not re-create the problem. It has been fine--until today.

Our radon test has finally come back with an acceptable (low!) number! It was high when they initially tested, so they sealed the sump pump and tried again. When that did not resolve the issue, a radon mitigation system was installed. They retested this week and that has been resolved.

We've unpacked a little more, N will have her new dresser on Wednesday so she can finally stop living out of a box. (She and C had divided a bunk-bed set but C has the whole thing now and she is getting a new, more feminine bedroom set. The rest of her set won't arrive until August but at least she'll have drawers!)

We have found the pool nearby so we've got the important issues covered!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you. You are a great Mom. Tell N, I am sorry I did not call her on her Birthday. Glad to hear you are settling in well. Gee, Notre Dame..... How did the kids like it? Love, Aunt N

LoryKC said...

N,
Thanks!
The kids LOVE Notre Dame! They were thrilled that we'd be *only* a 2-hour drive away. Now that they've been--2 hours seems a little longer...but apparently worth it!
Natalie is already planning on attending so I'd better work on getting that book published!