Sunday, November 05, 2006

NaNoReWriMo

It isn't dishonest if you're writing fiction.

I signed up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and do have a few novel ideas percolating. However, since I've been working on one particular concept now for a couple of years, it seems senseless to put a huge amount of time and effort into a new project. Right?

I'm justifying it by saying it is new--in a way. I've decided to rewrite the whole thing from someone else's point of view. So I'm using the same characters and a modified version of the same plot but I am reworking the whole book.

The website challenges you to write 50,000 words in a month. Is it dishonest to write that many words about an idea that was in the works before November?

Let me know what you think. If I'm delusional or just plain wrong...I've still got the rest of the month to start over honestly!

I did manage to write 1,200 brand new, never before seen words today. So either way, it's a good day.

No comments: