Saturday, October 10, 2009

MFA???

Every few years, I decide I need one.

And then change my mind. I really WANT the workshop format and the critique circle.
Can I find that outside of a univerity? Yes.
Have I? No.

The husband wants to know what it will do to HELP me.
(I need the feedback, want the workshop format and these days, adult conversation is always a plus.) Besides, I tell him, if he's hit by a bus, I can go teach classes at the college level.
(He reminds me of the great life insurance plan he has. I'm actually REALLY well set--IF he dies.) With the MFA however, I might actually be able to graduate, write AND teach--EVEN if he lives! ;)

So why have I waited this long?
A number of reasons.

A friend asked me YEARS ago whether or not I really NEEDED it--or if it was, in fact, a fancy shmancy delay tactic. (She already had her degree from Harvard and was pursuing a dual tract in medical school so ONCE in a WHILE, I listened to her!) ;)
(Of course, she was right). I STILL don't have a beautiful, polished novel sitting here so it's easier to say I need to go through an MFA program than to just sit my butt in the chair long enough to edit the crap that I DO have and craft it into something that someone not related to me might want to read. (If I edit it and/or write it for a class, I will HAVE to do it or fail.)

With a toddler at home, it's tough to write and tougher to consider going back to school. (There is a wonderful, well-known university close by who offers an MFA program). I can't pull off studying, writing AND teaching with my kids at the ages that they're at right now. The distance MFAs are calling me right now but it's hard to determine if it is because that is the right move--ore because 20 days away from my family each year sounds like THE way to get my book DONE?!

SO! My writing friends--do you have/want an MFA? Do you participate in a critique circle? I'm curious.

3 comments:

jocelyn said...

I know I'm not a writing friend and I don't have an MFA. I just wanted to comment. If you want to go for your MFA, I say go for it! :) I'm sure you could handle it, even with 3 little ones in your house. Granted, we were a bit older, but I know of a certain mom who went back to school while she still had kids in the house. It would make like different, but it would be for a good reason. It might give you some "adult" time too :) It might give you a sounding board within a critque circle (or you can just send it to a sister who loves you, and enjoys to read, I will try to be critical (good or bad) :) However, I don't think you necessarily need an MFA to finish your book. I can't think of too many authors that I've read where I have thought "who are they to be writing?, they don't even have a MFA" :) Good luck with your decision :) Sorry if my post here is a bit long, it's been a while since I've been able to post anything (FB still is giving me issues!)

Anonymous said...

Pray about it and let your heart lead you there!

LoryKC said...

I might work on getting the ball rolling.
I've got lots of editing to do before I could submit a writing sample. The little guy needs to get a little older before I do anything but by the time I finish rewriting AND find a way to get references almost 20 years after my last college courses, he'll be older!

(Anonymous--I DID--and the fuzzy answer I think I got was that it isn't the right time, right now. But maybe--by the time I'm REALLY ready...) ;)

Thanks, all!