Thursday, March 23, 2006

Field Trip

I have been promising to take my son to a planetarium and as it's Spring Break--and the snow was melting to a muddy slush yesterday--I decided it was time for a family field trip!

We headed for the Cosmosphere--a 2+ hour drive from home. I said we'd leave "early" so the fact that we backed out of the driveway minutes before 11:00 is pretty good for me! (It was still "a.m." anyway!)

My daughter insisted it was unfair that I made her go. She pouted as she entered the IMAX theater to see Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon. Once the movie started, I spent most of it reminding her to whisper or be quiet! The girl who had no interest in space or the space center now would like to walk on the moon. She asked if a woman had ever walked on the moon. When I answered "no," she said "I'm going to be the first one!" (As soon as we left the theater though, she amended this plan. "I want you to come with me, Mom! You could be the first woman on the moon!" )

My son has known for at least the last two years that he wanted to be an astronaut and has had long-standing plans of walking on the moon. He has asked me several times if I'd like to come with him but it has nothing to do with history or gender, of course---he just doesn't want to go alone! (Can't say I blame him!) He was a little afraid of the movie but watched it and enjoyed the planetarium show a little later.

As we left, they were both sorely disappointed that it was still such a cloudy night because they wanted to try to spot and name constellations in the sky. We did not make it home until 7:30pm but it was certainly a day well spent.

No comments: