Monday, March 27, 2006

Older and wiser

I was kind. Remember that.

When I turned 30, my sisters and brother called me for my birthday but the ones furthest from my age had some rather insensitive comments. (Ah, the foolishness of the young!)

Last week, one of you turned 30. My kids and I sang and I yelled, Aunt J is 23! I was met with silence on the other end. I think you thought my senility was complete. Especially when you finally, quietly asked: "you don't really think I'm 23, do you?"

While I do live in my own world and prefer to believe that my siblings aren't getting older, I'm not that far gone yet. Though I would like to continue to tell the world that I am 23, it's hard as all of my siblings are past that age now.

Once you realized that I am quite aware of how old you really are-- you mentioned that I was much nicer to you than you were to me.

Exactly. Remember that. Though years ago, I warned you with comments such as "just wait" and "your time is coming," I did not follow through when the time arrived. (I reserve the right to rub it in later however, if warranted.)

And now--a few words of wisdom I thought I'd share:
Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese. ~ Billie Burke

No comments: